- Gary Nolan started for the Reds while Tom Seaver opened up the series for the Mets
- The Reds had plenty of chances in the early innings due to some uncharacteristic wildness by Seaver, but they were unable to push across any runs
- The Mets struck first in the bottom of the 5th when Jerry Grote doubled and scored on a single by Roy Staiger
- Cincinnati took the lead in the top of the 8th when Pete Rose singled and went to third on a Ken Griffey single. Griffey stole second base and then both runners scored on a single by Joe Morgan
- In the bottom of the 8th Bruce Boisclair opened the inning with a walk. Pepe Mangual was brought in as a pinch runner. The next two Mets batters grounded out. With two out Dave Kingman crushed a 2-run homer to left center to give the Mets a 3-2 lead.
- The Reds threatened in the top of the 9th when Dave Concepcion singled, stole second, and went to third on a fly ball. Pete Rose walked, but Griffey grounded out to end the game.
Dissecting the 1967 Set
10 hours ago