- Jon Matlack got the start for the Mets and he was opposed by Don Gullett
- The Mets scored a run in the second inning. John Milner reached on an error by Pete Rose and scored on a Bud Harrelson double.
- In the top of the third inning Pepe Mangual and Felix Millan each singled. Joe Torre knocked in both runners with a double to give the Mets a 3-0 lead.
- The Reds didn't mount a serious threat until the 7th inning. Johnny Bench walked and went to second when Dave Concepcion singled. After Cesar Geronimo flew out, pinch hitter Bob Bailey doubled. Bench scored and Concepcion was gunned down at the plate by Mangual. The chances of scoring were 95%, so a "20" must have been rolled. Jerry Grote blocked the plate to keep Concepcion from scoring. Pete Rose struck out to end the inning and the score was 3-1.
- The Reds were able to get someone on base in the 8th and 9th innings but weren't able to score any more runs.
- The Mets lead the series 2 games to 1.
Team MVPs: 1984 Fleer
20 hours ago