- Mets manager Joe Frazier faced a decision that was similar to the one Yogi Berra had in the 1973 World Series. He could bring back Tom Seaver on three days rest or he could start #4 starter Mickey Lolich and save Seaver for game 5 with 4 days rest if necessary. Frazier decided to start Lolich. We'll see how the decision plays out.
- The Mets jumped to a 2-0 lead in the first inning against rookie Pat Zachry. Bruce Boisclair led off with a walk and was sacrificed to second by Felix Millan. After an out was made Dave Kingman hit a 2-run homer to left center.
- The Reds came back with two runs of their own in the bottom of the first. Pete Rose led off with a single and went to third on a Ken Griffey single. Joe Morgan hit a sacrifice fly to make the score 2-1. George Foster grounded out, sending Griffey to second. Tony Perez doubled and Griffey scored.
- In the bottom of the second inning Dave Concepcion doubled. Cesar Geronimo singled and Concepcion scored. The Reds led 3-2 at this point.
- Zachry settled down and didn't get in trouble until the seventh inning. Pat walked Pepe Mangual and Millan and was replaced by Fred Norman. Norman walked John Milner to load the bases. Pedro Borbon came in and struck out Kingman to end the threat.
- In the bottom of the seventh Concepcion singled and Geronimo doubled him in to make the score 4-2.
- Rawly Eastwick came in and pitched two scoreless innings to earn the save.
- The series is tied at 2 games apiece.
C.A.: 2016 Topps Steve Johnson
1 hour ago